Saturday, September 29, 2007

Women's Vball vs UCLA 9/28/2007

Stanford 3 UCLA 0
After dismantling #4 USC the previous night, I wondered how we'd play against #5 UCLA who had beaten Cal 3-2 the night before. Albert and I helped distribute Block Party shirts for the first part of each game and missed quite a bit of the action, especially the strong starts we got off to in Games 1 & 2.

Maples was packed in what was season-high attendance. For the first time in a long while, the Block Party section filled up. So were the student seats, aided by the football team, all clad in black. Several of them looked thoroughly bored during the game. I guess they now know how many students feel about their games.

It was an impressive turnout which I hope will be sustained as the quarter progresses and midterms approach. It's hard to tell with freshmen who make up a large fraction of the non-athlete fans. I also spotted the first Gabi sign in the student seats. I fail to recall the exact wording but it was a nice play on the word "Dig" and along the lines of "We Dig Gabi". Hopefully I'll see it in 2 weeks time.

With another convincing victory under our belts, my only concerns were Alex Fisher's arm related injury after a great performance the previous night and Jessica's struggles. Hopefully Alex sitting out was precautionary and she won't be plauged with injury troubles. Jessica seems to be in a funk but if she regains consistency and we stay healthy, we'll be an even greater force to be reckoned with.

On a side note, my schedule is now clear for a potential Final 4 semi-final match up in Sacramento after my Thursday 7-10pm final was brought forward to Wednesday. I now have 3 finals on Wednesday but I could not be happier. But first, let's take care of business on the road against the Oregon schools before welcoming the Washington schools to Maples.
~Zhihao

Unfortunately I don't have much to say about this match because I missed most of it helping out with Block Party again. Alex broke her wrist last night. I'm assuming it was when she fell against USC midway through Game 3. As for this game, there isn't too much to report. UCLA looked marginally better than USC did, but we still outclassed them by a lot. The only game that ever seemed to be in doubt was Game 3, but we came back to win that one.

One thing I did notice in this game that had happened in some other ones was that UCLA attacked Alix on their serve. Sometimes her passing is a little shaky but with as much work as she is getting from being served every single time she's in the back row. It's probably also a function of them not wanting to serve Cynthia or Gabi when they're back to receive, but for now one of my few nitpicks with Alix's game is her serve receive. And how much can you complain about 19 and 19 anyways?
~Albert

No comments: